Who We Are
Fannie Mae is a leading provider of mortgage financing in the U.S. We purchase mortgages from lenders to free up the money they need to make other mortgage loans, therefore ensuring the ongoing availability of affordable mortgages. Our financing solutions allow millions of people across America — including those in underserved communities — to access affordable, sustainable rental housing and homeownership.
A housing innovator that helps people
Fannie Mae helped transform homeownership in the U.S. by driving wider adoption of the 30-year, fixed-rate mortgage loan, which first became popular in the 1950s. Unlike previous expensive, unpredictable loans, this new mortgage option expanded access to homeownership with its lower monthly payments that were predictable for the length of the loan. For the last 70 years, the 30-year, fixed-rate mortgage has helped countless households afford their own home. Today, we work alongside industry partners to provide modern, sustainable solutions that increase the availability of affordable rentals, help remove barriers to homeownership, and support the evolving housing market.
In 2022, Fannie Mae:
- Helped approximately 2.6 million households rent, buy, or refinance a home.
- Incorporated a consumer’s history of consecutive rent payments as part of the mortgage eligibility assessment, allowing lenders to qualify more first-time homebuyers for a mortgage.
- Revised mortgage eligibility criteria to help borrowers with no credit score be better positioned to qualify for a mortgage loan.
Our commitment to progress
At Fannie Mae, our goal is to expand housing opportunities for everyone in America. We do that by:
- Continuing to promote an inclusive environment for our employees and the consideration, inclusion, and utilization of diverse suppliers and business partners.
- Helping to remove housing barriers of the past and expand access to quality, affordable homes.
- Leading and contributing to advances across the housing industry to better represent the people we serve.
- Supporting the housing industry’s adaptation to climate change.
Our ongoing mission
We’re committed to facilitating equitable and sustainable access to homeownership and quality, affordable rental housing across America. Along with our industry partners, we continue to innovate and help build a stronger and more efficient housing finance system for renters, homebuyers, and homeowners across the country.