Our 2021 Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Report
As a part of our effort to maintain transparency, our first annual ESG Report highlights the impact of our work through tangible results and data.
Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG)
We’re dedicated to creating positive environmental, social, and economic outcomes for families and communities through responsible mortgage finance.
Safe, affordable housing is at the foundation of economic well-being for individuals and families — and at the center of all healthy, vibrant communities. Fannie Mae’s enduring mission is a cornerstone of that foundation. Chartered by the U.S. Congress to deliver liquidity, affordability, and stability to the U.S. residential mortgage market and promote fair access to mortgage credit, our mission demands that we address complex environmental, social, and governance (ESG) challenges.
We are committed to driving positive impact, building a stronger, safer, and resilient housing finance system that creates affordable, sustainable housing opportunities for homebuyers and renters across the country.
We are committed to improving environmental sustainability in the homes we finance, the communities we serve, and the places we work.
We help drive social and economic progress through valuable partnerships, innovative solutions and programs, and sustainable business practices.
We uphold our commitment to responsible business practices and ethical behavior.
Our ESG journey
We began our ESG journey by laying a foundation that allows us to identify and manage our ESG risks and opportunities over time. As our strategy continues to take shape, we recognize that part of our long-term success depends on strong ESG integration into our governance structures and business strategies. To date, we have:
Since we formally began integrating ESG principles into our business strategies, we have:
- Established a Community Responsibility and Sustainability Board Committee and ESG and Mission Division.
- Identified opportunities to amplify our impact. As a result, we:
- Expanded our Green Bond Business to include Single-Family issuances.
- Developed a Sustainable Bond Framework.
- Issued our first Social Bond.
- Committed to transparent, consistent disclosure of relevant data as a hallmark of ESG engagement. Our commitment to this disclosure includes our:
- 2021 Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) Report, highlighting our commitment to positive environmental impact, social outcomes, and business practices.
- 2022 Annual Report on Form 10-K, ESG Matters section.
- Annual Housing Activities Report and Annual Mortgage Report, which provides insight into our actions to promote the affordability and availability of housing in the U.S. as well as the financing needed to sustain it.
- Green Bond Impact Report, outlining the projected environmental, social, and economic impacts of our Green Financing Business.
- Engaged in ongoing conversations with internal and external stakeholders to inform our ESG strategy.