Five Don’t-Miss Opportunities at Next Week’s MBA Conference
By Laura Haverty | May 12, 2016
The Mortgage Bankers Association’s National Secondary Market Conference & Expo 2016 takes place next week, May 15-18, at the New York Marriott Marquis.
Executives from Fannie Mae – including Andrew Bon Salle, executive vice president of Fannie Mae’s single-family business – will present during the conference’s general sessions and we’ll have a booth in the exhibition hall (Booth #205). Additionally, we’ll host a multi-day open house in the Manhattan Ballroom, where you’ll be able to visit with Fannie Mae representatives, including key executives and product specialists.
In previewing the conference schedule, we’ve selected five “must see” sessions we plan to attend and hope you can too:
- Executive Perspectives on the Secondary Mortgage Market (May 15, starting at 4 p.m.). Executives from U.S. Home Bank Mortgage, Freedom Mortgage, Mason-McDuffie Mortgage, M&T Bank, Quicken Loans, and Dynex Capital will speak on today’s secondary market challenges and opportunities. The 75-minute general session will be in the Broadway Ballroom on the sixth floor.
- Point-Counterpoint with David Axelrod and Laura Ingraham (May 16, 8:30 a.m.). With the 2016 presidential race in full swing, political pundits David Axelrod, a former senior advisor to President Obama and the current director of the Institute of Politics at the University of Chicago, and Laura Ingraham, conservative radio host, publisher, and news analyst, will share their insights on the election and Washington politics. The 90-minute general session will be in the sixth-floor Broadway Ballroom. A 30-minute Q&A will follow in the Westside Ballroom on the fifth floor.
- A Conversation with GSE Leadership (May 16, 10:30 a.m.). We realize we have a slight bias here, but we hope you will take this opportunity to hear from Andrew Bon Salle and David Lowman, executive vice president of Freddie Mac’s single-family business. Quicken Loan Chairman and CEO Bill Emerson will moderate the one-hour session in the sixth-floor Broadway Ballroom. (Extra: See Bon Salle on CNBC's Squawk Box.)
- Preserving Access to Credit (May 16, 2:45 p.m.). Speakers from the GSEs and industry will discuss recent regulatory changes and their impact on access to credit. Panelists will also look at challenges lenders face with first-time homebuyers, those with thin credit files, those with repaired credit, “credit invisibles” showing no credit history with a national consumer reporting agency, and “boomerang buyers” re-entering the market after foreclosure. The 90-minute session will be in the seventh-floor Empire Complex.
- Economic Outlook (May 17, 10:30 a.m.). Hear from the top economists at MBA, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac. (Read Fannie Mae Chief Economist Doug Duncan’s assessment of the 2016 market). The 90-minute session will be in the sixth-floor Broadway Ballroom.
Of course, there are many other sessions to pique your interest. You’ll want to review the online schedule each morning, since room assignments and times may shift.
Laura Haverty is editor-in-chief of Housing Industry Forum. She can be reached at Editor_HIF@fanniemae.com.